Summary of Reviews
These reviews are about my own reactions and experiences, rather than academic dissection or professional critique. Click to a specific section, or browse away.
- Birth Control & Safer Sex
- Body, Biology & Health
- Grooming & Style
- Sexuality & Sensuality
Approved ads:Babeland sex toys
Sex toys, tips, discovery, education, satisfaction and passion for all
Your ad here
Erotica & Pornography
- Lost Girls (2006), by Alan Moore, Melinda Gebbie (art)
Beautiful, mind-blowing graphic novel that would make great first porn.
- Flowering Woman (1988), by Mary Dillon, Shinan Barclay, Elizabeth Manley (illus.)
A positive menarche fantasy about a girl in an imaginary ancient culture.
- Sweet Secrets (1997), by Kathleen O'Grady, Paula Wansbrough
Accurate and positive facts, plus diverse stories of first periods. Excellent!
Birth Control & Safer Sex
- The Curious History of Contraception (1971), by Shirley Green
A slightly outdated but entertaining history.
- Eve's Herbs (1999), by John M. Riddle
An academic but intriguing history of birth control drugs, witchcraft, and women's knowledge.
Body, Biology & Health
- The Clitourist (2002), by Karen Salmansohn, Trisha Krauss (illus.), Annemarie Gilligan (design)
A cute, stylish, under-informed guide to the clitoris.
- Skin Flutes & Velvet Gloves (2002), by Dr. Terri Hamilton
Fun and interesting genital trivia from a sex educator who can write.
- Woman (1999), by Natalie Angier
Brilliantly written, brilliantly interesting biology of women!
Grooming & Style
- Hot Pink (2004), by Deborah Driggs, Karen Risch
A positive, detailed resource about pubic grooming techniques and styles.
- Petals (2003), by Nick Karras
Artful photos of vulvas in black and white. Erotic, educational, and beautiful.
- The Curse (1999), by Karen Houppert
A one-sided but interesting investigation of menstrual taboos and the feminine hygiene industry.
- The Period Book (1996), by Karen Gravelle, Jennifer Gravelle
A personal, positive book about periods, for girls. If only it covered alternative products.
- Red Flower (1988), by Dena Taylor
Amateur feminist perspectives on cultural attitudes.
Sexuality & Sensuality
- Aphrodite (1999), by Isabelle Allende, Robert Shekter (illus.), Panchita Llona (recipes)
A guest review of Allende's “erotic meanderings” about lust and food.
- The Cult of the Born-Again Virgin (1999), by Wendy Keller
A celibate manifesto that tries to be positive but can't help being bitter.
- The Ethical Slut (1997), by Dossie Easton, Catherine A. Liszt
Skills and concepts for polyamory that apply to every relationship.
- Sex For One (1996), by Betty Dodson, Ph.D.
The classic tale of masturbation activism, with take-home tips.
- The Woman's Around The House Guide To Masturbation (2004), by Tina Hess
Ideas for using household objects as sex toys, with some limitations.
- Women, Passion & Celibacy (1993), by Sally Cline
Interesting ideas and politics from an angry, dogmatic author.
- O'My Flavors Natural Lubricant, from O'My Products Inc.
“All-natural,” but nearly indistinguishable from any good glycerin lube.
- Super Stroke It!, from Earth's Herbal Products
An all natural, tingly, oil-based lube that rocks my world. A lot.
- Lisa Sparxxx 24K Gold Full Color Love Baton, from XXXGlass
A slim, colourful, double-ended Pyrex dildo.
- Pee-Zee, from Pee-Zees
A reusable, folded plastic trough for women who want to pee standing.